Sep Kamvar : 2010 Plenary Session

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"We Feel Fine and I Want You to Want Me: Case Studies in Internet Sociology"

Abstract:

The past few years have seen a tremendous growth of public human communication and self-expression on the web through blogs, social networks, online dating sites, and social media in general. This offers a great opportunity for computer scientists, social scientists, and artists to study human nature at a scale that has not been possible before.

This talk explores 2 projects that collect, analyze, and visualize large amounts of web self-expression data. The first project, called We Feel Fine, explores human emotion through the lens of blogs. The second, called I Want You To Want Me, explores the search for love and self through the lens of online dating profiles.

Bio:

Sep Kamvar is a consulting assistant professor at the Institute of Computational and Mathematical Engineering at Stanford. His research focuses on social computing and information management, and he is particularly interested in personal and social models for search.

From 2003 to 2007, Sep was the head of personalization at Google. Prior to Google, he was the founder and CEO of Kaltix, a personalized search company that was acquired by Google in 2003. He is the author of 2 books and over 40 technical papers and patents in search, machine learning, and peer-to-peer networks, and his artwork is in the permanent collections of the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Museum of Fine Art in Houston.