Michael Bernstein : 2013 Mobile and Social Workshop

Thursday, April 18, 2013

"Who's listening? The Invisible Audience in Social Networks"
11:30am

Abstract:

Posting to a social network site is like speaking to an audience from behind a curtain. The audience remains invisible to the user: while the invitation list is known, the final attendance is not. Who sees my content? Do they enjoy it, or does it passively grate on them? Through a combination of design and data science, my group is quantifying these invisible undercurrents in social media. I present a large-scale audience study in collaboration with Facebook, which examines how accurately users can estimate their audience size and whether the audience size is even predictable in the first place. Then, I'll introduce Who Gives A Tweet, a site which gathered 40,000 volunteer positive/negative/neutral ratings from Twitter users on tweets in their stream, and our results finding whether tweeting about your lunch is, in fact, a mistake.

Bio:

Michael Bernstein is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Stanford University, where he is a member of the Human-Computer Interaction group and a Robert N. Noyce Family Faculty Scholar. His research in human-computer interaction focuses on the design of crowdsourcing and social computing systems. This work has received Best Paper awards and nominations at premier venues in human-computer interaction and social computing (ACM UIST, ACM CHI, ACM CSCW, AAAI ISWSM). Michael was awarded the George M. Sprowls Award for best doctoral thesis in Computer Science at MIT. He holds Ph.D. and masters degrees in Computer Science from MIT, and a B.S. in Symbolic Systems from Stanford University.