Maneesh Agrawala: 2016 HCI+Design Workshop

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

"Redesigning, Reusing and Revitalizing Existing Charts and Graphs"

3:30pm

Abstract:

Over the last 300 years, data visualizations in the form of charts and graphs have become the primary means for communicating quantitative information. They are pervasive in scientific papers, textbooks, economic reports, news articles and webpages. In some cases these visualizations are the only publicly available representation of the underlying data. Yet, while people can easily interpret data from charts and graphs, machines cannot directly access it. The lack of machine readability significantly hinders analysis, reuse and indexing. Today, a vast trove of information is locked inside data visualizations.

In this talk I'll present recent tools and techniques we have been developing to algorithmically read visualizations and extract useful information from them. I'll then show how we can use the extracted information to redesign ineffective visualizations and transfer style between visualizations. I'll show how this approach allows us to add new forms of interactivity to static charts and graphs, and thereby bring such visualizations to life.

Bio:

Maneesh Agrawala is a Professor of Computer Science and Director of the Brown Institute for Media Innovation at Stanford University. He works on problems in computer graphics, human computer interaction and visualization. His focus is on investigating how cognitive design principles can be used to improve the effectiveness of visual Displays and interfaces.