2014 Poster Sessions : Near Optimal Energy Control and Approximate Capacity of Energy Harvesting Communication

Student Name : Yishun Dong
Advisor : Ayfer Özgur Aydin
Research Areas: Information Systems
We consider an energy-harvesting communication system where a transmitter powered by an exogenous energy arrival process and equipped with a finite battery of size Bmax communicates over a discrete-time AWGN channel. We first concentrate on a simple Bernoulli energy arrival process where at each time step, either an energy packet of size E is harvested with probability p, or no energy is harvested at all, independent of the other time steps. We provide a near optimal energy control policy and a simple approximation to the information-theoretic capacity of this channel. Our approximations for both problems are universal in all the system parameters involved (p, E and Bmax), i.e. we bound the approximation gaps by a constant independent of the parameter values. Our results suggest that a baterry size Bmax >= E is (approximately) sufficient to extract the infinite battery capacity of this channel. We then extend our results to general i.i.d. energy arrival processes. Our approximate capacity characterizations provide important insights for the optimal design of energy harvesting communication systems in the regime where both the battery size and the average energy arrival rate are large.

Yishun Dong is a PhD student in the Department of Electrical Engineering at Stanford University. Prior to attending Stanford, he received a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and a B.S. in Applied and Computational Mathematics from California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in 2013 with the highest rank in his class. His research interests include information and coding theory, wireless networks and statistical learning. He is currently funded by the Stanford Graduate Fellowship (Sony Fellow). The research work being present here is supervised by Prof. Ayfer Ozgur Aydin in the Information System Laboratory (ISL).