Jobs Listings : Research Intern
Jobs Listing: Research Intern
Post Date: 11/16/2022
Type: Research Intern
Please apply here: Research Intern
InstaDeep is a leading company that develops cutting-edge artificial intelligence products and solutions for major global and local clients in Europe, the US, Africa, and the Middle East. We focus on developing enterprise decision making systems that solve existing problems across a range of industries using advanced machine learning, reinforcement learning, and deep learning. Our expertise spans research, product and solution development, and the whole end-to-end solution to be developed in-house across our teams in London, Paris, San Francisco, Boston, Tunis, Berlin, Lagos, Cape Town, and Dubai.
Our proactive approach to research, combined with a broad spectrum of high-quality clients, ensures a challenging and exciting environment to work and thrive. In our mission to stay ahead of the curve, we are proud to partner with firms such as BioNTech SE, Google, Deutsche Bahn, DeepMind, Nvidia, and Intel, as well as with world-class universities such as Stanford, Oxford, MIT, Imperial College, and Ecole Polytechnique.
The internship will take the form of a novel research project with InstaDeep’s engineering team (applied machine learning). In collaboration with, and guided by, other research engineers you will develop a new and interesting alternative approach to solving a combinatorial optimization problem. Specifically, the goal is to explore complex path-finding tasks using the latest deep (reinforcement) learning research. The internship’s duration is usually 3 to 6 months.
In the first phase, you will implement optimization-based solutions to understand the problem better and obtain a baseline. The first part may require the development or improvement of a simulation environment. Following on, you will investigate incorporating cutting edge deep learning and reinforcement learning techniques (and combinations thereof) in innovative ways to improve performance.
You will be responsible for writing high-quality code, running well thought-out experiments, as well as documenting and communicating your findings to the wider team. Depending on project outcomes and wider team developments, you may be required to investigate different research avenues or contribute to work on any of the engineering team’s products in development.
Keywords: Machine Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Deep Learning, Engineering, Research.
- Work alongside research engineers in the engineering team, investigating approaches to solving the problem
- If needed, implement or adapt a simple environment to support the solution framing
- Investigate purely optimisation-based techniques and establish baseline performance
- Extend the investigation to use deep-RL or other cutting-edge machine learning techniques
- Research and keep on top of latest developments in the area that might be relevant
- Be methodical and thorough about running and documenting experiments
- Produce good quality code, using software engineering best practices
- Report on, and present progress and findings, clearly and effectively
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or a related scientific field
- Highly motivated and willing to tackle new unexplored challenges with limited supervision
- Knowledge in, and ideally experience with, deep learning and reinforcement learning
- Experience developing and debugging in Python (familiarity with OOP a plus)
- Experience using deep learning frameworks such as PyTorch, Tensorflow and/or Jax (Jax is a plus but can be learned on the fly)
- Research and software engineering experience demonstrated via previous work experience, internships, contributions to open source projects, or coding competitions
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Work permit for internship employment in the United States